The Private Sector Foundation Uganda (PSFU), Uganda’s apex body for the private sector in Uganda, is collaborating with Mastercard Foundation to implement immediate relief, recovery and resilience interventions under the COVID-19 PSFU Response Project. The intervention will complement the efforts of the Government of Uganda in controlling the spread of COVID-19, support the government to develop a Post COVID-19 Economic Recovery as well as a Growth Strategy. It will further augment the survival, recovery and resilience of enterprises impacted by the negative economic effects of COVID-19.
PSFU will procure and extend technical/consultancy services for an estimated 200 MSMEs affected by COVID-19 in selected thematic areas. In order to fast track implementation, PSFU invites interested companies to apply for services needed in thematic areas of interest.
Objective: The intervention’s ultimate goal is to contribute towards national efforts on safety and business recovery and resilience in the face of the COVID-19 Pandemic.
Specifically, program has the following strategic objectives;
- Increase capacity for prevention and testing of COVID-19 in Uganda.
- Enhance the Capacity of Institutions involved in health, quality and standards management.
- Support the recovery of enterprises from the negative economic effects of COVID-19 and increase their resilience to future shocks.
- Support government to develop and implement a post-COVID-19 Recovery and Growth Strategy.
Beneficiaries: Micro, Small and Medium enterprises with particular emphasis to female owned or female led MSMEs.
Targeted Sectors: The support to MSMEs will be implemented in selected sectors which include;
- Trade and allied services
- Tourism (through sector association)
Thematic Areas: The support to MSMEs will mainly focus on the following areas. For Example, under the export sector; interested companies will be assigned PSFU contracted service providers to help them develop and disseminate marketing tools such as product videos, product brochures including experiences. These will be distributed to market agents. In addition, placement will be made on various sites such as google, trip advisor to mention but a few. This effort is expected to help find new markets for Uganda companies to replace lost ones. The thematic areas include;
- Supply chain & sourcing
- New/Alternative route to markets/Digitization
- Product Development and Adaptation (Insurance, safety nets)
- Repurposing of current business assets to new product/services
- Standards and adaptation
- Innovation and management support
Eligibility for interested MSMEs:
- Be direct or indirect member of PSFU
- Be duly registered and operating under the laws of Uganda.
- Be operational for a minimum of two (2) years from the time of registration.
- Be privately owned and not partially owned or controlled by Government.
- Must be operating in one of the selected sectors; Agriculture, Tourism, Manufacturing, Construction, Trade and Allied services, Health and Education.
- Be able to demonstrate how COVID-19 has impacted your business
BDS activities aimed at increasing the productivity, production, market access, sales and consequently revenue to help recovery and build resilience
Capital expenses, employee costs including salaries and wages, other overheads
Requirements; Applicants must submit the following:
A fully-filled online application form (https://webportalapp.com/sp/psfu_mastercard_msmes_app)
- Proof of business registration.
- Details of physical business address/location.
- Evidence of negative impacts of COVID-19
Application and Selection Process:
Stage 1: Submission of application forms. Applications will be assessed based on eligibility and overall fit for the COVID-19 Economic Recovery and Resilience Response Program.
Stage2: Successful applicants will be attached to the relevant consultants.
Stage 3: Implementation
- Replies to all questions will be emailed no later than 2nd October, 2020.
- All applicants will be notified of the outcome of the assessment no later than 1 month from the date of receipt of their applications.
Application Submission: https://webportalapp.com/sp/psfu_mastercard_msmes_app
The deadline for the submission of online applications is 30th October 2020 at 11:59pm East African Time (EAT).
*Female owned and female led Lead Firms and MSMEs are encouraged to participate.