Married with four children; prioritise spending time with my family
Active participant in Church
Educational reading, travelling, motor cross and attending international conferences
Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators UK
SIMBA GROUP OF COMPANIES, EAST AFRICA
Founder, Chairman and Group CEO
Started in 1998 with flagship telecoms business, the Group is now a conglomerate of East Africa-based companies spanning telecoms, properties, power generation, agro-business, mining, tourism and media. At end 2011 the Group employed over 600 direct staff and – 1500 indirect staff.
Each company has a sound management structure, financial independence and is overseen by a rigorous Board. In addition all companies operate under the Group’s core principles of integrity, innovation and adaptability
Simba Telecom: Flagship Company with operations in Uganda, Kenya, and Tanzania
- Largest mobile phone airtime distributor in East Africa
- Exclusive relationship with largest mobile network in each country: MTN in Uganda (1998), Vodacom in Tanzania (1999), Safaricom in Kenya (2000)
- Launch partner for MTN in Uganda, within first 6 months Simba had signed up twice as many customers as incumbent network had achieved in 4 years
- Largest retail chain in East Africa with over >100 non-franchise retail outlets
- Appointed Nokia distributor for Uganda (2000); Awarded Best Dealer in 2005
- Awarded Dealer of the Year 2012, Best Performing Dealer Mpesa 2012 and Best Performing Dealer Airtime Sales – 1st Runners up (Simba Telecom Kenya)
Protea Hotel, Kampala: Four star hotel located in upmarket Kololo, Kampala district
- Opened in Nov 2007 with capacity of 71 rooms and large conference facilities
- Has quickly build loyalty with business traveller and conference business: hotel now achieves occupancy rates of >70%
- Holds the master franchise for Protea Hotels Uganda and developments in the rest of the East Africa region.
- Protea Hotels Uganda currently manages:
- Protea Hotel Kampala
- Protea Hotel Entebbe
- Protea Hotel Mbale
- The 90 bed roomed Protea Hotel Hoima is currently under construction
Electro-maxx (U) Ltd (incorporated on 4th July 2005) a 50MW Thermal plant producing and distributing energy to the Government
Simba Mines and Minerals Limited- currently involved in the exploration of gold.
Simba Properties, Uganda: Property development and management
- Owns property with current asset value of >$20M
- Manages over 20 commercial & residential properties in Kampala
- Developed & sold 8-storey office building in Kampala CBD; another 5000 square metre office block completed in 2011, kept under Simba management
- Large bank of undeveloped land in premium Kampala locations, prime for development and value creation
Simba Tours & Travel, Uganda: Longest certified IATA travel agent in Uganda, award-winning Top 3 travel agent; two branches in high-end location
Simba Forex, Uganda: Bank of Uganda licensed foreign exchange bureau in CBD Kampala; holds international cash transfer licence
Simba Electronics Ltd – Wholesale distributors and retailers of electronic products.
Simba Tyres Ltd (Tanzania) – Wholesale and retail of car tyres
Tororo Solar North Limited – To build, own and operate a 10MW grid connected solar project in Tororo district.
True North Power/Chapter Ten: integrated bio-energy farm in Northern Uganda
- Creating 3,000 hectare farm from virgin bush land currently; other tracts of land currently under negotiation
- Farm will be a maize (corn) farm, with food crop sold into food markets and waste used to power biomass power plant
- Business is triple bottom line business in previously war torn North of Uganda: food security, job creation, economic stimulus, electricity generation, environmental sustainability all as important as financial returns
- Chairman Board of Directors, Umeme Uganda Limited: appointed in September 2007 – the country’s sole electricity distribution company. As part of the turnaround plan to improve Umeme’s operations in the last year’s Umeme has significantly dropped yield losses
- Chairman Board of Directors, Uganda Investment Authority (UIA): appointed in March 2007 – September 2013 since taking on this position UIA has made strides in promoting investment opportunities in the country for both local and internationally to become a customer centric organisation.
- Chairman Private Sector Foundation Uganda (PSFU): Uganda’s apex body for the private sector. It is made up of 175 business associations, corporate bodies and the major public sector agencies that support private sector growth
- Board Member, Uganda Reinsurance Company: appointed in May 2015 – Uganda’s first and only reinsurance company.
- Chairman, Ndege Premier Aviation Company: appointed in 2009 – offer charter services for light flying planes.
- Chairman, The Presidential Investment Round Table: appointed in May 2007 – a think tank of Private Sector leaders and H.E the President of the Republic of Uganda.
- Board Member, Traidlinks Limited: appointed in October 2007 (Local Director) – an Irish non-profit focused on improving the productivity that promotes the growth of SME for Public-Private Partnership. Brought on Board for strategic insight into Uganda’s economy and support for operations.
- Shareholder/Board Member, Wananchi Group Holdings Limited (ZUKU Satellite Pay Tv Uganda): appointed in July 2011 – an East African brand that targets the modern African consumer and aspires to bring superior quality and meaningful entertainment experience.
- Director, CURE Children’s Home Uganda: appointed in May 2010 – First paediatric neurosurgical hospital in Sub-Saharan Africa was established in 2000. Cure Hospital is a speciality teaching hospital focused on treating the neurosurgical needs of children with an emphasis on Hydrocephalus, neural tube such as spina bifida, and brain tumors. Cure Hospital has emerged as the global leader and centre of excellence for the treatment, management of children transforming many lives and continuing to do tremendous work on a shoe string budget.
- Patron, Alliance of Mayors & Municipal Leaders on HIV/AIDS in Africa (AMICAALL): appointed in August 2012 – assist with resource mobilisation, promote the organisation by way of fundraising activities, charities, public relations and advocacy.
- Honorary Consul, Australian Consulate in Uganda: appointed in December 2010 – promote and enhance the relationships between our nations, as well fostering trade and investments both in Uganda and Australia.
- Patron, Australian Alumni Association Uganda: appointed in March 2013 – To act as a platform through which Members of the Association can network and interact as a group for mutual benefit, assist Members of the Association to build on or enhance, the qualifications and experience gained by Members of the Association from Australia through training workshops and other post-qualification education opportunities and to promote relations between Ugandans and Australians through consular, business, social and cultural activities and projects
- Doctorate of Philosophy in Humanities – United Graduate College and Seminary International
- The East African Business Leaders of the Future – Price Water House Coopers World survey 2003
- Entrepreneur of the Year 2011, Eastern African – Ernst & Young
CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
- Founder of the Patrick & Carol Bitature Foundation (PCB Foundation), a charity based organisation with the focus on education and life saving health care initiative. It was established in December 2010 with the main objective of ensuring disadvantaged youth in our community access a descent education with the aim of gaining employable skills to improve their economic livelihoods in the future and disseminate financial literacy to the youth through his platform presentations. It has also been active in contributing to child health care through Cure hospital, a pioneering neurosurgeon Children’s Hospital in Mbale, Uganda.
- Chairman, Nyakasura School Alumni Association: appointed in 2010 – Regeneration of Nyakasura School, West Uganda: Spearheaded the establishment of Nyakasura School Alumni Association to oversee the rehabilitation of The School and is currently the largest contributor towards development of the school’s infrastructure
- Makerere University Business School, Entrepreneurship Club: Initiated the Patrick Bitature Entrepreneurship Competition to nurture young talent through competition, supports and finances start up capitals
- Frequent speaker to youth organisations – on topics of professionalism, discipline and entrepreneurism
- Solar Lighting Project: so far donated 700 solar lamps to rural communities in Uganda (East and West Uganda); wired multiple rural health centres
- Supporter of Girl Child (St. Theresa – Ibanda) and Multiple organisations for the disabled
- Supporter of Church based organization and active participant in Church activities