BUDS-DFID gives Tractor and Excavator to Delight Uganda Ltd
PSFU is managing the Business Uganda Development Scheme(BUDS-DFID) a cost sharing project funded to a tune of pounds 13 Million by United Kingdom Department for International Development(DFID). PSFU is implementing this project on behalf of the Office of the Prime Minister. The project aims to support the economic recovery under the Peace Recovery and Development Program (PCDP) that targets 55 Districts. Implementation of the project started in 2011 and completion is expected in 2015.
The objective of BUDS-DFID is to promote private sector growth, investment and employment opportunities under the Peace Recovery and Development Program (PRDP) in the sub-regions of Acholi, Lango, Teso, West Nile, Bukedi and parts of Bunyoro sub-regions.
BUDS-DFID a project of Private Sector Foundation Uganda (PSFU) has given out a brand new tractor with its accessories, a multipurpose excavator to Delight(U)Ltd. Delight(U)Ltd is one among the many companies, groups, associations etc which have received financial support from BUDSâ€“DFID project.
Delight (U) Ltd was the first indigenous company to process juice in Uganda under the brand name of CHEERS in 1996. Delight(U)Ltd is establishing a Fresh fruits Growing project in Nwoya District and the Tractor and Excavator will be used to open up more land for agriculture (over 5,000 acreage will be opened), establish a nucleus farm which will be used as a demonstration farm and will provide hybrid seedlings and training to the local people.
Under the public private partnership, the Ministry of Local Government and the Nwoya District local Government have partnered with Delight (U) Ltd with advice from Global Clearinghouse for Development Finance to set up a fresh fruit processing Factory in Nwoya District. The project is expected to have 5,000 out growers and has already created gainful employment for 500 locals including homeless young mothers.
Expected gains of the project
1. Export of the fresh juice and fresh fruits will help the country to earn foreign exchange.
2. Improved skills and knowledge in modern farming methods acquired from the demonstration farm for community groups.
3. Improved community productivity as a result of the technology transfer.
4. Creation of employment to farm workers and this will have a multiplier effect to the out growers.
5. Economic empowerment of Nwoya Community and neighboring Districts through engagement in productive agricultural activities.
6. The development of the area will encourage urban- rural migration.
7. The completion of the project will help Delight (U) Ltd to gain access to more markets through the sale of fresh juice and horticulture.
8. Increased incomes and sales.
9. Promotion of trade in the region.
For details on how you can access the grant down load the BUDS-DFID Brochure
Plot 22B Upper Churchill Drive Gulu
Tel: Tel: 256 372-280-267/ 372-280-268
Private Sector Foundation Uganda (PSFU), Plot 43, Nakasero Hill Road
Tel:[+256] 0312 263850, 0312 261850, 0312 286849, Fax[+ 256] 0312266440
P.O Box 7683 Kampala, Uganda, Email:
, Website: www.psfuganda.org.ug